The groundwater resources is one of the most important National Assets of our country and it holds one of the key to our Nations’ Economic prosperity. Since the availability of this groundwater resource is vary from place to place and need for proper and careful planning, development, conservation and use with utmost care to the growing demands in Agriculture, Drinking water, Industries and other requirements.
The main objective of the Hydrogeological division is to development and management of Groundwater Resources in environmentally sustainable manner to uplift the socio-economic standard of the people of Sri Lanka. On the requests of various Government Institutions, Non-government organizations and Individuals, following groundwater development activities are carry out by the hydrogeological division. All the regional offices, chemical laboratories, are come under the hydrogeology division.
- Assessment of large, medium and small scale groundwater resources by the geophysical exploration and siting of ground water sites for shallow/deep tube wells, dug wells and agro wells
- Assessment studies on the impact of groundwater resources due to mining activities (ex: gravel, sand, clay and rock quarries) and other environmental issues.
- Perform short-term and long-term duration pumping test for determine the aquifer characteristics, safe yield and water quality variations.
- Carrying out of feasibility studies on the availability of ground water resources prospecting groundwater resources development in high economic zones.
- Logging of boreholes to investigate the sub surface strata
- Designing of groundwater monitoring networks and conducting groundwater monitoring programmes with special reference to water quality and water levels of periodical reports related to water resources and preparation of policies.
- Implementations of artificial groundwater recharge in water sources or high abstraction areas to maintain the long term sustainability of groundwater.
- Conducting programs and implementing migratory measures for control water pollution/ conservation of springs.
- Conducting awareness programs in the importance of safe and sustainable use of groundwater utilization and managing of water resources for domestic, industrial and agricultural purposes for the civil society through training.