The Provincial Office in Jaffna has undertaken groundwater research activities in limestone aquifer before 1980’s and after that proper research work has not been conducted due to the war. However, the Jaffna provincial office was activated after the war and well equipped water analytical laboratory has been established.
Northern province of sri lanka belong to dry zone and the precipitation of that area is exceptionally low comparing with other regions of country. Agricultural activities are mainly carried out using groundwater and the same as domestic activities. There are no any river basins in Jaffna district. Water Resources Board Northern provincial office has a major responsibility to protect and conserve groundwater in the side of quantity and quality.
The present activities of the Provincial Office include:
- Assessment of large, medium and small scale groundwater resources by the geophysical exploration and siting of ground water sites for shallow/deep tube wells, dug wells and agro wells
- Assessment studies on the impact of groundwater resources due to mining activities (ex: gravel, sand, clay and rock quarries) and other environmental issues.
- Perform short-term and long-term duration pumping test for determine the aquifer characteristics, safe yield and water quality variations.
- Potential realization of groundwater management and conservation in Jaffna Peninsula
- Longterm groundwater monitoring in Vavuniya district
- Longterm groundwater monitoring in Kilinochchi districts
- Longterm groundwater monitoring Jaffna Peninsula & Islands