The main focus on the WRB is to carry out research & development on groundwater resources of the country and moreover act as a groundwater regulatory body. The requirement of information through the research & development activities are the flatform on the effectiveness of any management plans or regulatory mechanism.
At present there are various research and groundwater monitoring projects are in progress under different funding. The collecting of this all data, information, reports to centralize point is one of the main concerned area since this information is vital for management & Planning of groundwater resources of the country.
Further, there are some areas where WRB is required to be addressed urgently considering the present issues identified in the groundwater resources sharing, contaminations and over abstraction of groundwater resources which all are to be considered in the overall regulation practices to be implemented by WRB covering the all country.
Since WRB is basically started as an advisory body to the Ministry and subsequently supply services on Water Requirement dealing specifically on groundwater resources while working on the research & Development activities as well. At present, considering the water issues in the country, the need of establishing and implementing a regulatory mechanism for conservation, protection & managing the groundwater resources is prime requirement.
With the recent mandate given through the Gazette notification has facilitated the legal power despite some amendments are in requirement for effective implementation of regulations. Therefore, provide of necessary information through the outcomes of the research & Development projects carrying out at R&D are the baseline requirement for managing the groundwater resources.
- Update, Upgrade and development of Central Database and subset databases on the fields of
- Collection of all WRB research & Project reports
- Development of Quarry site Investigation Database
- Development of database for test pumping & Groundwater level monitoring.
- Development of DB for regulatory information
- Preparation of maps with the support of all above databases and Development of Groundwater Atlas
- Publishing of research papers & Periodic Journals on the outcomes of Projects, conducting of Annual technical workshops
- Preparation of Technical/research proposals as per the requirement by WRB on Groundwater sector & Capacity development of Human Resources, Equipment.
- Coordinating. Managing & supervision of Foreign funded & research oriented commercial projects
- Implementation, Operation & Maintenance of the monitoring networks established at river basin level.
- Maintenance, update & improvement of WRB Website